Friday, September 26, 2008

Hurry up and Wait!

Hi everyone. Sorry for the lapse in blogs - I seem to have been caught in some time-space non continuum sustained by 3-hour naps and loads of caffeine. It's a lot of hurry up and wait around these parts - and if you're a freelance photographer or assistant, I know you know that he and she know what I mean....

Thanks to all who responded to my request for bio info on emerging photographers! Due to the overwhelming response, and starting some new work, it's taking a while to wade through my interview notes and start posting. Have no fear, I am still planning on profiling all who responded. Thanks again for your patience.

So a quick update (and more later):

It's official: I've been published for the first time in San Francisco Magazine (Oct 2008 in the Click section up front)!! I went to the Borders yesterday and saw the new issue had come out, then flipped to the Click area and found my image. I just smiled dumbly at it for a while before buying 5 copies...er and gift wrapping them. For my mom. And dad. I swear!

*****************************************************

For anyone who wants to break into editorial work and is in SoCal, check out the lecture being held at Art Center in Pasadena next week. I've posted aPhotoEditor's post today below:

"A new Post "Shooting Editorial- Art Center Lecture Next Tuesday" was written on the September 26, 2008 at 5:20 pm on "A Photo Editor".
I've been invited by Everard Williams of Art Center College of Design to join Heidi Volpe, former Art Director at the LA Times Magazine for a lecture in LA next Tuesday evening called Shooting Editorial.

We're going to talk about shooting for magazines and spend the first part discussing what goes on inside a magazine, how stories are assigned, the dynamics between the different departments and in particular how Art Directors and Photo Editors work together...
including the ways in which I try and trick AD's into picking my photographer or my opener choice.

For the second part of the lecture we're going to talk about a photographers style and how we use it to make assignments and really try and show as many examples of portfolio images that convinced us to hire a photographer and then the published results from the assignment.
The event is free and open to the public and should be informative but also entertaining since Heidi and I aren't afraid to give each other a little shit. We will also try and tackle a few topics that have been in the news lately.
Shooting Editorial- Tuesday, September 30, 7:30pm-9:00pm in the Ahmanson Theater on Art Centers North campus. The address is 1700 Lida St. Pasadena, CA 91103.
http://aphotoeditor.com/2008/09/26/shooting-editorial-art-center-lecture-next-tuesday/

"