Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Getting Published (almost) and the 3 Ps

(click on thumbnails for to view images larger)
I recently read a post on www.naopa.org about a new magazine focusing on "refined living in the Peninsula" area of SF (or the area better known as "what's between SF and San Jose"). I was leery of the post since it mentioned "work for hire" as one of the stipulations for being the staff photographer. I was curious about the job and trying to break into editorial work, so forwarded a link to my portfolio.

About a day later, I got both an email and a phone call from the publisher. He gave me a very brief rundown on what he needed: shots for advertising and articles of local high-end eateries and bars, resorts, hotels and portraits of bartenders and people in the business or basically, a little bit of everything. We made an appointment to meet the next day for dinner. I met the publisher at a restaurant in my 'hood to investigate.

It turns out he's been in the promotion/publishing business for over 20 years with several other custom publications under his belt. Originally from San Francisco, he moved to the Peninsula several years ago after his kids grew up. While living there, he realized the need for a publication geared toward fine dining and nightlife. In SF, the equivalent would be something akin to San Francisco or 7x7, but focusing on the "Eat & Drink" and "Shop"aspects of those magazines.

After a lot of blood, sweat and tears, we're going to press with the second issue of the magazine. Check out the articles I shot on my website at

http://www.catherinenguyen.com/ in the Editorial section!
(If you happen to live in the Peninsula and would like to receive a free copy of the magazine when it comes out, please drop in at our under construction website, www.hillsandlagoons.com.) Re: the "work for hire" terms of our agreement, the publisher said, "while the pay for editorial shooting isn't high," he can offer exposure. The magazine retains the images shot for them in the archive for future publishing (with photo credit), but I am able to retain the copyright and resell my images after first publication. In addition, I am gaining contacts who may develop into future clients. Not a bad deal.

The blood and sweat has also paid off in an unexpected way: I've been named the magazine's new Creative Director.

The moral of the story is (does there always have to be a moral?) investigate; keep an open mind. You never know what opportunities may arise. It's hard to get a break and if some one's interested in your work and they can offer you one of the 3 P's (as Will Mosgrove, one of my photo instructors liked to say): Profit, Promotion or Portfolio it very well may be worth your while. In this case, as I've built my relationship with the publisher early on, I have creative freedom during my shoots. Of course, I always keep in mind who I am shooting for, but I have had carte blanche. The resulting images I've shot will definitely help with 2 of the 3 P's which I hope will lead to the third P in the near future.

3 comments:

Injector said...

Congratulations!

You wrapped that post up well, apparently "work for hire" doesn't necessarily have to be evil. Unlike that other story you posted of the other mag which just seems to want to take advantage of naive students.

Mostly I wanted to say: Lovely still-life shots of the drinks. For some reason I'm a sucker for that type of photography. Have you considered writing any entries on techniques or tips?

upstartup said...

Hey there-Thanks! I'm so glad you like the drink images. It hadn't occured to me to discuss how I lit them, but I'd be happy to share how the glasses were shot in my next post.

Michael Van der Tol said...

Catherine, the images and layout all look great. Thanks for sharing.